The Indian Iron and Steel Sector Skill Council (IISSSC) isan industry (Iron and Steel, Re-rolling, Sponge Iron units,Ferro Alloys, Steel Construction and Welding) driven non-profit company limited by Guarantee, registered under theIndian Company Act 1956. The Company is promoted byInstitute for Steel Development and Growth (INSDAG) andBengal Chambers of Commerce and Industry (BCC&I) andmandated under National Skills Development Corporation(NSDC). The Governing Committee of the Council includesmajor Iron and Steel companies, Iron & Steel relatedassociations and Indian Institute of Welding etc.
IISSSC is Mandated
- To Develop NationalOccupationalStandards for the Sector.
- To facilitate development of high-qualitycontent.
- To create a bank of quality faculty bytrain the trainer program and to buildaccreditation and certification mechanism.
- To create a dynamic Labour Market Information System (LMIS).
- Research and aggregate skill requirements of the Industry including sub-sector requirements, regional requirements and international trends and best practices that can be introduced in the domestic skill development space.
- Create skill database, Collate and disseminate labor market information with respect to number of people getting direct and indirect employment in various areas of the industry. It will identify current and future skill requirements, both in terms of numbers as well as interms of types of skills at national and regional levels and investigating the underlying reasons for the same.
- Identify upcoming technologies in the sector and determine technology specific skills that may need to be developed in the near future.
- Build Capacity for training delivery and regulate the skill development activities in the Industry sectors including development of the National Occupational Standards, qualifications, training curriculum and assessment criteria.
- Provide quality assurance via accreditation & certifications of training delivery bodies and awarding certification to trainees and trainers.
Objectves of IISSSC:
- Develop NationalOccupational Standards(NOS) that feature skill competencystandards and qualifications as per NSQF.
- Aligning the existing curricula to NOS.
- Plan and institutionalize Training of Trainers.
- To enable quality assurance in training inpar with international standards.
- Create an assessment framework to awardcertifications as per NSQF.
- Promote academies of excellence